Updated from 9:14 a.m. EST with correction of 2014 guidance.
NEW YORK (TheStreet) - Time Warner (TWX) removed the curtain on Home Box Office, its highly popular and profitable cable channel, disclosing the division generated $4.9 billion in revenue, earning $1.7 billion in operating income in 2013.
The disclosure is Time Warner's first direct depiction of HBO's earnings profile and comes at a time when the media and entertainment conglomerate is moving towards a spinoff of the company's publishing business, Time Inc. While that move, along with other changes to Time Warner's reportable segments give a better glimpse into the profitability of each of the company's various divisions, they will have no impact on earnings.
In the fourth-quarter, Time Warner separated its former 'Networks' reportable segment into Turner and Home Box Office and changed the names of its Film and TV Entertainment unit to Warner Bros. and its Publishing reportable segment to Time Inc.Time Warner is preparing to spinoff Time Inc. later in 2014.
Soon-to-be spun off Time Inc., however, saw its revenue and operating profits fall in 2013.
Time Warner also increased its quarterly dividend 10% to $0.3175 a share. After buying back $3.9 billion in stock in 2013, Time Warner's board increased the company's share repurchase authorization to $5 billion. The company also provided guidance that it expects low double digit earnings growth from the $3.51 it earned, excluding Time Inc., in 2013.
Shares in Time Warner fell 1.7% in early Wednesday trading to $61.36.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV