- Fourth Quarter Backlog Is Up over 17% from Third Quarter on Stronger Fourth Quarter Bookings
- Full Year Positive Cash Flow of $28.6 Million; Debt Reduced by $16.9 Million in 2013
BRIDGEVILLE, Pa., Feb. 5, 2014 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Universal Stainless & Alloy Products, Inc. (Nasdaq:USAP) today reported net sales of $40.3 million for the fourth quarter of 2013 and a net loss of $2.9 million, or $0.41 per diluted share, including a write-down of a deferred state tax asset of approximately $1.0 million, or $0.14 per diluted share. In the fourth quarter of 2012, net sales were $47.2 million and net income was $1.1 million, or $0.16 per diluted share.
Compared with the fourth quarter of 2012, tons shipped to the aerospace market increased 6% and power generation shipments were up 8%, while shipments to the oil and gas market were down 51% and heavy equipment market shipments were down 2%. However, backlog (before surcharges) in the fourth quarter increased by 17.2% to $46.8 million from the third quarter of 2013 as a result of stronger fourth quarter 2013 bookings.
The Company's gross margin for the fourth quarter of 2013 was $1.5 million, or 3.7% of sales, compared with a gross margin as a percentage of sales of 12.7% in the fourth quarter of 2012. The decrease was primarily the result of lower shipments and operating activity, product mix and the misalignment of surcharges to raw material costs. As a result, the Company incurred an operating loss of $2.6 million in the fourth quarter of 2013 compared to operating income of $1.8 million in the fourth quarter of 2012.For full year 2013, the Company's net sales were $180.8 million and the net loss was $4.1 million, or $0.58 per diluted share. That compares with net sales of $251.0 million and net income of $14.6 million, or $2.02 per diluted share, for 2012.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV