For investors watching their portfolio evaporate into thin air and shares crossing below $5, the true value can become irrelevant, and survival becomes the focus. If you examine an intraday chart, you will notice that the 10-minute bar when the stock fell to $4.90 was the highest volume of the day. The weak hands were washed out and new buyers stepped up.
Sadly for those who hit the panic sell button and gave up their shares for under $5, they then had to sit and watch the same shares bounce over 25 cents higher before settling to close at $5.08. Needless to say, more than a few people were frustrated by closing. They may have been frustrated by the stock but not all the news from management was frustrating. Online sales climbed 26.3%.
The worst-performing 33 stores will soon close. Over 25% of the stores slated for the glue factory are in Wisconsin. I'm not sure why so many poorly performing stores are located there but the one located near me appears in better shape than the Sears. Granted, that doesn't say much. Bbut during my walk-throughs, I looked for signs of trouble but didn't see any that couldn't be found in Macy's or Kohl's.
Ok, so how can you profit from the panic? There are two short-term strategies that are attractive to me.
The first is selling a covered call, as outlined in my Real Money Pro post. The second is selling a cash secured put option. The February $4 strike put option can be sold for about 20 cents. The shares have to drop over 25% in the next 17 days for the buyer to breakeven. Not only do I not think shares will fall to such a degree (remember, shares don't go straight up or down), I think we can expect the $5 area to provide support.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV