In celebration of Facebook's birthday it's good to point out that it took Amazon 20 years to hit a market cap of $159 billion. In just one year of trading publicly Facebook has almost caught up to the mighty Amazon with a market cap of over $154 billion. It's not only a social networking phenomenon, it's become a financial one as well.
Facebook captures more and more of its users time and attention. To some, like TheStreet's own Rocco Pendola, the social networking powerhouse has become somewhat invasive and "annoying." "Maybe I'm not alone in my criticism of how Facebook curates user news feeds these days," Pendola wrote.
He's picked up on the idea that "..Facebook continues to fail as it attempts to step on Twitter's (TWTR) turf as the modern day newspaper." Although that may be true, my point is Facebook, which I occasionally use, has a no-holds-barred approach to competing and succeeding. So far not even Twitter can trip it up.
From its nascent attempts to attract students at an Ivy League university to the amazing achievement of now being able to appeal to over 1.2 billion users globally (more than 750 million of these unique visitors log on to the site everyday), Facebook has achieved super-stardom faster than any online company yet.
As the great 19th century author Victor Hugo said, "There's nothing more powerful than an idea whose time has come."
Happy birthday, Facebook. You've connected the world and given us all ways to share ideas, insights, laughter and tears in a manner that no one could have ever dreamed possible.
At the time of publication the author had no positions in any of the companies mentioned in the article.
This article represents the opinion of a contributor and not necessarily that of TheStreet or its editorial staff.Google+
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV