PORTLAND, Ore. (TheStreet) -- What channel is the Olympics on? Just about any channel with a peacock in its logo.
The U.S. television viewer is in his or her third Olympics of the "TV Everywhere" era and should be getting used to the fact that this is how the nation and the world wills watch major sporting events from now on. Though Feb. 23, the 2014 Winter Olympics from Sochi, Russia, will be broadcast on local NBC affiliates, NBC Sports Network, MSNBC, CNBC and USA. Meanwhile, for the first time in Winter Olympics history, NBC will stream all events through mobile devices using its NBC Sports Live Extra app.
It makes Fox and the NFL's handling of Super Bowl XLVIII a week ago seem quaint by comparison: One event, one network, token streaming through Fox for desktop devices and Verizon for limited mobile devices. What is this, 2008?That year, NBC was just getting around to showing all Olympic events in high-definition on its various channels. As recently as the 2006 Winter Games in Turin, Italy, only half the games were shown in HD. Also, NBC was just getting the hang of streaming Olympic events in 2008. In Turin, it streamed a scant two hours of coverage. By 2008, it was up to 2,200 hours -- more than confused potential advertisers knew what to do with. The Olympic Committee had its own YouTube Channel and streaming was generally a mess.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV