Three in Four People Have Never Heard of Bitcoin
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Three of every four people admit they haven't heard of Bitcoin.
Just 24% of respondents to a new nationwide survey conducted for TheStreet by GfK said they were familiar with the five-year-old crypto-currency. Click Here for the Survey!
Bitcoin gained attention in 2013 as hedge funds considered its viability as a tradable asset and as Wall Street banks released research notes about the virtual currency. Additionally, brothers Cameron and Tyler Winklevoss -- more commonly known as the Winklevoss twins, who gained attention for suing Facebook (FB) founder Mark Zuckerberg for allegedly stealing their idea for the social networking site -- drew popular attention to Bitcoin after they revealed a sizeable position in the currency.
Despite its growing popularity, the survey shows many people are unaware of Bitcoin, and even fewer, 2%, own any.Diving deeper into the numbers, the 50- to 64-year-old age demographic showed the greatest familiarity with Bitcoin, at 30% of respondents. By comparison, 20% of 18- to 34-year-olds said they'd heard of it. Only 18% of respondents when asked if they would consider using an alternative form of currency like Bitcoin said yes. Some 25% of respondents said they believed Bitcoin hurts the global economy, and 38% said it hurts the U.S. dollar. Overwhelmingly, 80% of individuals said they would rather own gold than Bitcoin. Only 5% preferred the crypto-currency. -- Written by Joe Deaux in New York. >Contact by Email. Follow @JoeDeaux
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV