NEW YORK (BestCredit) -- Recent decisions at the Federal Reserve to phase out its quantitative easing stimulus programs have given markets an indication that the economy has stabilized and is ready to begin working on its own without external monetary support. These decisions at the U.S. central bank have been reaffirmed by an improving labor market and GDP growth rates that have risen to 3.2% in Q4 2013.
This bodes well for 2014.
It also creates an environment where investors can start to look beyond the safest stocks and sectors and instead start building exposure to areas that can generate longer-term growth. Generally speaking, investors will look to the Russell 2000
Small-Caps vs. Large-CapsIn 2013, the Russell 2000 gained more than 38%, once capital gains and dividends are counted. The S&P 500 generated roughly 32.5% during the same period, while the Dow Jones Industrials offered returns of under 30%. Part of this difference can be explained by the fact that small-cap companies tend to generate most of their business domestically. In contrast, large-caps get a lot of their business overseas, and international stocks have trailed the U.S. in recent quarters. These trends suggest that small-caps continue to offer excellent opportunities for growth. Let's look at two choices for investors looking to gain exposure to this type of asset. SoupMan: "More Soup for You!" One well-positioned selection is SoupMan (OTC:SOUP), which is trading toward the bottom end of its 52-week range. SoupMan first gained major exposure in the "Soup Nazi" episode of Seinfeld.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV