For its fourth-quarter, the company posted earnings of $2.75 a share. Analysts surveyed by Thomson Reuters estimated earnings of $2.82 for the quarter. Revenue for the quarter was up 3% to $467.7 million, though that still missed analyst estimates of $468.7 million.
Net income fell 22% in the quarter because D&B took charges when it wrote off assets in an effort to cut costs. The company also had to pay legal fees after a Chinese court fined a unit for illegally buying information about Chinese consumers.
TheStreet Ratings team rates DUN & BRADSTREET CORP as a Buy with a ratings score of B-. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation:"We rate DUN & BRADSTREET CORP (DNB) a BUY. This is driven by several positive factors, which we believe should have a greater impact than any weaknesses, and should give investors a better performance opportunity than most stocks we cover. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its solid stock price performance, growth in earnings per share, good cash flow from operations and expanding profit margins. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had sub par growth in net income." Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- Investors have apparently begun to recognize positive factors similar to those we have mentioned in this report, including earnings growth. This has helped drive up the company's shares by a sharp 35.70% over the past year, a rise that has exceeded that of the S&P 500 Index. Regarding the stock's future course, although almost any stock can fall in a broad market decline, DNB should continue to move higher despite the fact that it has already enjoyed a very nice gain in the past year.
- DUN & BRADSTREET CORP has improved earnings per share by 6.3% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past two years. We feel that this trend should continue. During the past fiscal year, DUN & BRADSTREET CORP increased its bottom line by earning $6.48 versus $5.30 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($7.70 versus $6.48).
- Net operating cash flow has slightly increased to $64.60 million or 1.73% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, DUN & BRADSTREET CORP has also modestly surpassed the industry average cash flow growth rate of -0.27%.
- The gross profit margin for DUN & BRADSTREET CORP is rather high; currently it is at 67.92%. Regardless of DNB's high profit margin, it has managed to decrease from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, DNB's net profit margin of 17.70% significantly outperformed against the industry.
- DNB, with its decline in revenue, underperformed when compared the industry average of 18.5%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly dropped by 0.5%. The declining revenue has not hurt the company's bottom line, with increasing earnings per share.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: DNB Ratings Report
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link reveal their investment tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
Jim Cramer's protégé, David Peltier, uncovers low dollar stocks with extraordinary upside potential that are flying under Wall Street's radar.
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
Jim Cramer's protégé, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
Every recommendation goes through 3 layers of intense scrutinyquantitative, fundamental and technical analysisto maximize profit potential and minimize risk.
Our options trading pros provide over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.