"There has been no new blood on the board in a decade, with the average board member having been in place since 1997. The board's expertise in needed areas such as technology and broker/dealer could be better," writes Mayo, in a report titled "Restructure This Bank?" The analyst has had an "underperform" rating on BNY Mellon since at least April 2011. Mayo states that "improvements in governance and efficiency would help us to reconsider" the rating.
Mayo cited a below-peer pre-tax margin "on a one- and three-year basis," and a 2% rise in the stock over the past three years, compared to a 16% increase in Northern Trust Corp. (NTRS), a 43% increase in State Street Corp. (STT), and a 39% rise in the S&P 500.
Mayo was also critical of the fact that the bank "says it targets 10% ROE and positive operating leverage," but "has not achieved this level for the past three years" even though "management still gets above-peer-average pay."
BNY Mellon shares were up 0.58% to $31.09 in late morning trading on volumes of 2.6 million shares compared to average daily volumes of 4.7 million shares over the past three months. Shares of State Street and Northern Trust were up 1.50% and 0.92% respectively.A spokesman for BNY Mellon declined to comment on Mayo's report. Follow @dan_freed
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV