"There has been no new blood on the board in a decade, with the average board member having been in place since 1997. The board's expertise in needed areas such as technology and broker/dealer could be better," writes Mayo, in a report titled "Restructure This Bank?" The analyst has had an "underperform" rating on BNY Mellon since at least April 2011. Mayo states that "improvements in governance and efficiency would help us to reconsider" the rating.
Mayo cited a below-peer pre-tax margin "on a one- and three-year basis," and a 2% rise in the stock over the past three years, compared to a 16% increase in Northern Trust Corp.
(NTRS), a 43% increase in State Street Corp.
(STT), and a 39% rise in the S&P 500.
Mayo was also critical of the fact that the bank "says it targets 10% ROE and positive operating leverage," but "has not achieved this level for the past three years" even though "management still gets above-peer-average pay."
BNY Mellon shares were up 0.58% to $31.09 in late morning trading on volumes of 2.6 million shares compared to average daily volumes of 4.7 million shares over the past three months. Shares of State Street and Northern Trust were up 1.50% and 0.92% respectively.A spokesman for BNY Mellon declined to comment on Mayo's report. Follow @dan_freed
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV