ROCKVILLE, Md., Feb. 4, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Econo Lodge hotels, the brand known as the Easy Stop on the Road, will celebrate the one year mark of their Room to be Green program. A first of its kind initiative executed across the entire lodging portfolio, Room to be Green is designed to reduce environmental impact and waste, meet the changing expectations of today's environmentally conscious guests and potentially lower operational expenses, (including energy and water costs) at the property level.
The Econo Lodge brand, which is fully franchised by Choice Hotels International, Inc. (NYSE: CHH), one of the world's largest hotel companies, is a leader among economy hotel brands for implementing mandatory Green initiatives throughout all its properties. As a result of its program, in the past year more than 830 Econo Lodge hotels helped reduce annual water usage by an estimated six million gallons and energy usage by and estimated twelve million kWh. Additionally, in tandem with American Forests, an organization dedicated to the protection and restoration of forests around the world, Econo Lodge planted one tree for each Econo Lodge currently opened.
"One year ago, this was just an idea and an announcement. I am so energized by the enthusiasm with which Econo Lodge operators have rallied around our Room to be Green project as we celebrate this brand milestone," said Craig Mustard, head of domestic brand management for Econo Lodge. "Their actions demonstrate that caring for the environment can be done at any level. You just have to start somewhere and we are eager to continue building on this program moving forward."The Econo Lodge brand required every hotel to implement the Room to be Green program by Dec. 31, 2013. The program outlines three mandatory elements of its initiative:
- Energy Conservation: Hotels must use energy efficient indoor lighting solutions, such as compact fluorescent (CFL) or LED bulbs in all guest fixtures, excluding ceiling lights;
- Water Conservation: Hotels must offer all guests a towel / linen re-use program; and
- Recycling and Waste Reduction: Hotels must also provide a recycling program for staff and guest use
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts