Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link.Trade-Ideas LLC identified Plug Power (PLUG) as a "dead cat bounce" (down big yesterday but up big today) candidate. In addition to specific proprietary factors, Trade-Ideas identified Plug Power as such a stock due to the following factors:
- PLUG has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $47.6 million.
- PLUG has traded 210,906 shares today.
- PLUG is up 3.5% today.
- PLUG was down 6% yesterday.
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in PLUG with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for PLUG NOW at Trade-IdeasMore details on PLUG: Plug Power Inc., an alternative energy technology provider, engages in the design, development, commercialization, and manufacture of fuel cell systems for the industrial off-road markets worldwide. Currently there are 2 analysts that rate Plug Power a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and none rate it a hold.The average volume for Plug Power has been 18.7 million shares per day over the past 30 days. Plug has a market cap of $365.1 million and is part of the technology sector and electronics industry. The stock has a beta of 1.68 and a short float of 18.6% with 0.56 days to cover. Shares are up 94.8% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Friday.STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.TheStreetRatings.com Analysis:TheStreet Quant Ratings rates Plug Power as a sell. The company's weaknesses can be seen in multiple areas, such as its deteriorating net income and disappointing return on equity.Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Electrical Equipment industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 54.0% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from -$10.33 million to -$15.90 million.
- Return on equity has greatly decreased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of major weakness within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Electrical Equipment industry and the overall market, PLUG POWER INC's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- PLUG, with its decline in revenue, underperformed when compared the industry average of 9.5%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly dropped by 3.1%. The declining revenue has not hurt the company's bottom line, with increasing earnings per share.
- PLUG's debt-to-equity ratio of 0.85 is somewhat low overall, but it is high when compared to the industry average, implying that the management of the debt levels should be evaluated further. Regardless of the somewhat mixed results with the debt-to-equity ratio, the company's quick ratio of 1.21 is sturdy.
- Net operating cash flow has slightly increased to -$7.01 million or 1.82% when compared to the same quarter last year. Despite an increase in cash flow, PLUG POWER INC's cash flow growth rate is still lower than the industry average growth rate of 17.53%.
- You can view the full Plug Power Ratings Report.
STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.
Latest Headlines about PLUG
Latest from TheStreet Wire
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV