AGCO, Your Agriculture Company (NYSE:AGCO), a worldwide manufacturer and distributor of agricultural equipment, reported net sales of approximately $2.9 billion during the fourth quarter of 2013, an increase of approximately 5.8% compared to net sales of $2.7 billion for the fourth quarter of 2012. Reported net income for the fourth quarter of 2013 was $1.40 per share. These results compare to reported and adjusted net income of $1.04 and $0.99 per share, respectively, for the fourth quarter of 2012. Adjusted net income for the fourth quarter of 2012 excluded a non-cash intangible asset impairment charge of approximately $22.4 million as well as a non-cash tax gain of approximately $26.9 million from the recognition of U.S. deferred tax assets. Excluding an unfavorable currency translation impact of approximately 0.3%, net sales in the fourth quarter of 2013 increased approximately 6.1% compared to the fourth quarter of 2012.
Net sales for the full year of 2013 were approximately $10.8 billion, an increase of approximately 8.3% compared to the same period in 2012. For the full year of 2013, reported net income was $6.01 per share. This result compares to reported and adjusted net income of $5.30 and $5.25 per share, respectively, for the full year of 2012. Excluding an unfavorable impact of currency translation of approximately 1.2%, net sales for the full year of 2013 increased approximately 9.5% compared to 2012.
Fourth Quarter and Full Year Highlights
- Fourth quarter regional sales results (1) : Europe/Africa/ Middle East (“EAME”) +10%; Asia/Pacific (“APAC”) +6%; North America +2%; South America +1%;
- Adjusted operating margins in 2013 improved over 160 basis points in the fourth quarter and nearly 120 basis points for the full year vs. comparable 2012 periods
- Full year regional operating margin performance: North America 11.8%, South America 10.4%, EAME 10.2%, APAC 0.1%
- Announced $500 million share repurchase program in December
- 2014 earnings per share guidance remains at approximately $6.00 per share
(1) Excludes currency translation impact. See reconciliation of non-GAAP measures in Appendix.“AGCO closed the year with a solid fourth quarter, making 2013 a record year for both sales and earnings,” stated Martin Richenhagen, Chairman, President and Chief Executive Officer. “We continue to take advantage of healthy market conditions by leveraging our global footprint and our well-positioned brands. Strong sales performance and steady progress with our profitability improvement efforts produced margin expansion in 2013. We generated over $400 million of free cash flow in 2013 while making heavy investments in plant productivity, new products and tier 4 emission requirements. Our strong cash generation will allow us to continue making strategic investments in improved technology and production capabilities while returning cash to our shareholders. AGCO’s record earnings and consistent cash flow generation over the last three years has strengthened our balance sheet and positioned the Company for continued success.”