This isn't the first time that the admission, via television commercial, that a company's products were not up to snuff. Late in 2009, Domino's Pizza (DPZ) unveiled a great ad campaign admitting that customers believed that its pizza was mass produced, tasteless, and like cardboard. The company used the ads to unveil its new pizza recipe, which was a huge success with consumers. Results improved, and the stock is up nine-fold since late 2009.
This also isn't the first time that a Super Bowl ad marked the beginning of a company's turnaround. During the 2009 Super Bowl, restaurant chain Denny's (DENN), which had been struggling for years, announced that it was giving away 2 million free breakfasts on the following Tuesday.
It was a great, albeit expensive, way to reintroduce the brand to consumers, and it was the impetus for me to take another look at the company, one that I'd long forgotten.What I discovered was a company that was getting back on its feet, paying down debt and moving away from company-owned restaurants toward re-franchising. The company has done a good job over the past five years, and shareholders have been rewarded. DENN data by YCharts We'll see if RadioShack can rebound as nicely as Denny's has; it will be a tall order, but from a marketing perspective, Sunday's Super Bowl commercial was a winner. At the time of publication, Heller was long RadioShack. Follow @JonMHellerCFA This article represents the opinion of a contributor and not necessarily that of TheStreet or its editorial staff.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV