Interest rates on long-dated Treasury bonds have been unable to rise the past two months as global investors have remained cautious. With low inflation readings and weak global economic data, investors have favored sovereign debt in the U.S. and Germany over other asset classes, such as equities.
Manufacturing data released Monday highlighted potential weakness in the world's two largest economies. The Chinese manufacturing figure was 49.5. Any reading below 50 indicates contraction, suggesting that factory output actually declined from the month before. Meanwhile, expectations for new U.S. factory orders declined by its largest margin in 30 years.
The news from China and the U.S. led to a decline of 2% in the SPDR S&P 500 (SPY) Monday, while iPath S&P 500 VIX ST Futures ETN (VXX) -- an indicator of anxiety -- spiked to its highest price level in six months.Although the Federal Reserve is cutting its stimulus program, investors don't see the economy as being strong enough to warrant a large move higher in interest rates. TLT data by YCharts At the time of publication, the author had no position in any of the funds mentioned. Follow @macroinsights This article represents the opinion of a contributor and not necessarily that of TheStreet or its editorial staff.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV