Tesla Motors Inc (TSLA) proved its mettle by driving a Model S sedan from LA to New York in just over three days. A few weeks earlier, the EV manufacturer finished up the network of supercharger stations along 3,400-mile cross country route. The Model S appeared in front of New York's city hall after completing the three day and four hour journey from Los Angeles.
CEO Elon Musk posted on Twitter “Tesla LA to NY Supercharger rally just completed in 76 hours across northern route in dead of winter thru heavy snow!”
Storms delayed the journey for few hours
During the journey, the Model S had to face heavy winter and roads blocked with the snowfall along with snowstorms in Colorado and Illinois. Due to road blockage and heavy snowfalls, the drive took eight hours more than expected to reach the destination, Tesla Motors Inc (TSLA) reported in a blog post. After escaping the storms, Tesla Model S met all their time schedules, and maintained a charge throughout the trip.According to Tesla, its Model S can run up to 300 miles per charge at 55 miles per hour. Also, the superchargers can charge half of the battery of a Model S in around 20 minutes. The company now has more than 70 supercharger sites across the US. Tesla Motors Inc (TSLA) Blogger Hamish McKenzie said that the temperature fell to 9 degrees and heavy snowflakes covered the windshield. Traffic was thin at places and heavy at some, but the Tesla cars, who he named Lightening and Thunder, had no problems covering the distance on the Pacific coast.
Tesla not the firstHowever, Tesla's trip is not the first to cover cross-country route. John Glenney, a retired professor from Kentucky, drove his Tesla from New York to Los Angeles starting on January 20, 2014. Glenney and his 26-year-old daughter Jill Glenney took five days to complete the journey.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV