For the full year ended Dec. 31, 2013 (full year 2013), core earnings grew 26% to $1,742 million, or $3.55 per diluted share, from $1,386 million, or $2.85 per diluted share in 2012. Core earnings improved as a result of lower catastrophe losses and improved margins in P&C Commercial, Consumer Markets and Group Benefits, partially offset by a decline in core earnings from Talcott Resolution.
Full year 2013 net income was $176 million, or $0.34 per diluted share compared with full year 2012 net loss of $38 million, or $0.18 per diluted share. Full year 2013 net income was impacted by $701 million, after-tax and DAC, of net realized capital losses, principally related to international VA hedging programs, that are not included in core earnings and a $525 million, after-tax, unlock charge. Full year 2012 net income included $410 million of net realized capital losses not included in core earnings, after-tax and DAC; $587 million loss on extinguishment of debt, after-tax; and $388 million net reinsurance loss, after-tax, related to the sale of the Individual Life business, announced in September 2012.
CONSOLIDATED FINANCIAL RESULTS
|($ in millions except per share data)||Three Months Ended||Years Ended|
|Dec. 31 2013||Dec. 31 2012||Change 2||Dec. 31 2013||Dec. 31 2012||Change 2|
|Core earnings (loss):|
|P&C Other Operations||$22||$17||29%||($11)||$44||NM|
|Property & Casualty Combined||$300||$54||NM||$1,021||$714||43%|
|Net income (loss)||$314||($46)||NM||$176||($38)||NM|
|Net income (loss) available to common shareholders per diluted share 1||$0.65||$(0.13)||NM||$0.34||$(0.18)||NM|
|Weighted average diluted common shares outstanding||486.1||488.9||(1)%||490.6||486.8||1%|
|Core earnings available to common shareholders per diluted share 1||$0.94||$0.52||81%||$3.55||$2.85||25%|
 Includes dilutive potential common shares The Hartford defines increases or decreases greater than or equal to 200%, or changes from a net gain to a net loss position, or vice versa, as "NM" or not meaningful
Fourth quarter 2013 net income and core earnings included the following items that had no net impact on earnings, compared with items that decreased net income and core earnings by a total of $120 million, after-tax, or $0.25 per diluted share, in fourth quarter 2012:
- Fourth quarter 2013 catastrophe losses that were less than the company's $42 million, after-tax, outlook by $24 million, after-tax, or $0.05 per diluted share. This compares with fourth quarter 2012 catastrophe losses that were $174 million, after-tax, or $0.36 per diluted share, higher than the company's fourth quarter 2012 outlook of $44 million, after-tax;
- Fourth quarter 2013 unfavorable P&C (Combined) prior year loss and loss adjustment expense reserve development (PYD) of $10 million, after-tax, or $0.02 per diluted share, compared with fourth quarter 2012 unfavorable PYD of $6 million, after-tax, or $0.01 per diluted share;
- Fourth quarter 2013 Corporate segment expense of $14 million, after-tax, or $0.03 per diluted share, related to a tax adjustment, compared to a fourth quarter 2012 Corporate segment tax benefit of $17 million, after-tax, or $0.03 per diluted share, related to retiree prescription drug benefits; and
- Fourth quarter 2012 core earnings in Talcott Resolution of $43 million, or $0.09 per diluted share, from the Individual Life and Retirement Plans businesses that were sold in first quarter 2013.
- Full year 2013 catastrophe losses that were less than the company's 2013 outlook of $305 million, after-tax, by $103 million, after-tax, or $0.21 per diluted share, compared with full year 2012 catastrophe losses that were $210 million, after-tax, or $0.43 per diluted share, greater than the company's 2012 catastrophe outlook of $249 million, after-tax;
- Full year 2013 unfavorable PYD of $125 million, after-tax, or $0.25 per diluted share, compared with full year 2012 favorable PYD of $3 million, after-tax, or $0.01 per diluted share;
- Full year 2013 net benefit of $41 million, or $0.08 per diluted share, in the Corporate segment for an insurance recovery, tax adjustment and other items, compared with a full year 2012 tax benefit totaling $17 million, or $0.03 per diluted share; and
- Full year 2012 core earnings in Talcott Resolution of $164 million, or $0.34 per diluted share, from the Retirement Plans and Individual Life businesses that were sold in first quarter 2013.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts