- Superfoods. The growing interest in better-for-you options also will lead consumers to incorporate more superfoods, such as whole grains like quinoa, bulgur and millet, as well as a wider variety of vegetables in their diets.
- That’s A Wrap. Look for wraps, particularly with flavored tortillas such as spinach, tomato basil and whole wheat, to start edging out sandwiches for on-the-go meal selections.
- Flavor Explosion. Area residents are predicted to seek out more interesting flavors in their pursuit of healthier eating. There will be a shift toward international ingredients, with Peruvian, South American, Indian and more Asian spices predicted to make a mainstream impact.
- Just Add… Nothing. Complete meal kits, with all necessary ingredients, will help busy Baltimore and Washington, D.C., area households satisfy their desire for homemade dishes without the need to buy every individual ingredient it takes to make a meal.
- Hold the Meat. Vegetarian and vegan foods will grow in popularity, including options for kids. While experts forecast less meat-eating, we’ll also see more “nose-to-tail” restaurants that make use of the whole animal.
- New Brew. Homebrewing will continue to grow in the Baltimore and Washington, D.C., area as more people want to have a signature craft brew to share with friends.
- Fresh Takes. As awareness of food allergies grows nationally, 2014 will see more area residents modifying traditional food recipes to include allergy-sensitive ingredients, such as rice milk, almond flour and chia seed.
New Shoppers® Food & Pharmacy 2014 Food Trends Forecast: More Local, Healthier Foods Top List Of Predictions
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
More than 30 investing pros with skin in the game give you actionable insight and investment ideas.