NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Walgreen (WAG) has filed a lawsuit against Rite Aid (RAD - Get Report), CVS Caremark (CVS - Get Report) and Shopko Stores to claim that the competitors are using Walgreen's new patent on technology for refilling prescriptions with mobile-phone scanners.
The largest U.S. drugstore chain was awarded a patent last month for a system that allows for "express refill" of prescriptions, according to Bloomberg. The company argued in complaints filed in federal court in Wilmington, Delaware on Jan. 31 that it has exclusive use of the invention and that it "owns, offers and operates" mobile applications that run on iPhones, Android phones and BlackBerrys. The Deerfield, Illinois-based company claims in the filing that Rite Aid, CVS and Shopko are using the system without a license. Walgreen is seeking unspecified damages and for the competitors to cease their use of the system.
Walgreen recorded $72 billion in sales in the last fiscal year.
Walgreen was down 3% to $55.63 on Monday afternoon, while Rite Aid was down 3.25% to $5.37 and CVS was down 2.69% to $65.90.TheStreet Ratings team rates WALGREEN CO as a "buy" with a ratings score of B+. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation: "We rate WALGREEN CO (WAG) a BUY. This is driven by several positive factors, which we believe should have a greater impact than any weaknesses, and should give investors a better performance opportunity than most stocks we cover. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, impressive record of earnings per share growth, compelling growth in net income, largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures and solid stock price performance. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company shows weak operating cash flow." Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- The revenue growth came in higher than the industry average of 6.3%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 5.8%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- WALGREEN CO reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past year. We feel that this trend should continue. During the past fiscal year, WALGREEN CO increased its bottom line by earning $2.56 versus $2.42 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($3.48 versus $2.56).
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Food & Staples Retailing industry. The net income increased by 68.3% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from $413.00 million to $695.00 million.
- Powered by its strong earnings growth of 67.44% and other important driving factors, this stock has surged by 43.61% over the past year, outperforming the rise in the S&P 500 Index during the same period. Looking ahead, the stock's sharp rise over the last year has already helped drive it to a level which is relatively expensive compared to the rest of its industry. We feel, however, that other strengths this company displays justify these higher price levels.
- WAG's debt-to-equity ratio is very low at 0.25 and is currently below that of the industry average, implying that there has been very successful management of debt levels. Even though the company has a strong debt-to-equity ratio, the quick ratio of 0.42 is very weak and demonstrates a lack of ability to pay short-term obligations.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: WAG Ratings Report
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts