NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Monday Herbalife (HLF - Get Report) reported preliminary fourth-quarter results that beat analyst expectations, but first-quarter guidance is concerning shareholders this morning. The supplement company said that it earned between $1.26 and $1.30 a share in the fourth quarter that ended Dec. 31. Analysts polled by Thomson Reuters expected earnings of $1.17 a share for the quarter. Revenue rose by about 19.8% according to Herbalife, which would mean revenue of about $1.27 billion for the quarter, compared to analyst estimates of $1.22 billion.
For the first quarter ending March 31, Herbalife expects earnings of between $1.24 and $1.28 a share, lower than analyst estimates of $1.40 a share. The company says the weak Venezuelan bolivar hurt earnings for the quarter.
Shares of Herbalife were falling 1.1% to $63.66.
TheStreet Ratings team rates HERBALIFE LTD as a Buy with a ratings score of B. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation:"We rate HERBALIFE LTD (HLF) a BUY. This is driven by several positive factors, which we believe should have a greater impact than any weaknesses, and should give investors a better performance opportunity than most stocks we cover. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its robust revenue growth, solid stock price performance, impressive record of earnings per share growth, increase in net income and expanding profit margins. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had generally high debt management risk by most measures that we evaluated." Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- The revenue growth came in higher than the industry average of 2.5%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 19.3%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- Powered by its strong earnings growth of 34.69% and other important driving factors, this stock has surged by 74.62% over the past year, outperforming the rise in the S&P 500 Index during the same period. Regarding the stock's future course, although almost any stock can fall in a broad market decline, HLF should continue to move higher despite the fact that it has already enjoyed a very nice gain in the past year.
- HERBALIFE LTD has improved earnings per share by 34.7% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past two years. We feel that this trend should continue. During the past fiscal year, HERBALIFE LTD increased its bottom line by earning $3.95 versus $3.32 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($5.25 versus $3.95).
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has exceeded that of the S&P 500 and greatly outperformed compared to the Personal Products industry average. The net income increased by 26.9% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from $111.87 million to $141.95 million.
- The gross profit margin for HERBALIFE LTD is rather high; currently it is at 51.32%. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Along with this, the net profit margin of 11.69% is above that of the industry average.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: HLF Ratings Report
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts