James Dennin, Kapitall: The Seahawks and the Broncos aren't the only ones facing off this weekend. Look at the advertising matchup.
The Super Bowl hasn't played out yet, but advertisers are out in full force.
Like corner drug stores who seem decorate their windows earlier and earlier each year in an arms race of Christmas cheer, so too has the Super Bowl stretched from a single afternoon into an entire weekend (and then some.)
[Read more about Advertising from Kapitall: 5 Stocks that Tweet the Best in a World of Social Media Advertising]This year Times Square has been converted into Super Bowl Boulevard, a veritable orgy of sports consumerism, and one of the few instances in which the name "Super Bowl" was licensed out for use by someone besides the NFL. Most of the Super Bowl advertisers released their offerings early, and so they've already been viewed by millions on Facebook (FB), Twitter (TWTR) and YouTube (GOOG) – and already ranked and analyzed. Unless you're living under a rock, you've probably already seen Budweiser's (BUD) #StayBuds ad, about a draft horse and a golden retriever puppy who are inseparable. And you've probably also seen Anna Kendrick's very meta "This is Not a Super Bowl Ad" ad, where the foul-mouthed indie actress muses as to whether she's really "Beer Commercial Hot." For better or for worse, social media has utterly eroded the communal experience behind watching Super Bowl ads. The Super Bowl still attracts the largest single television audience in the country, as slightly less than half of all TVs are tuned in. But in their race to make an impact and collect page views, many of the biggest ads will be old news by the time consumers finally see them on screen.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV