NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- DC Comics, owned by media conglomerate Time Warner (TWX), is pushing to monetize its comic book characters via television and movies. DC Comics' latest moves is bringing one of its Vertigo Comics properties, iZombie, to the small screen.
Vertigo Comics, which is owned by DC Comics, has had success with several of its properties seeing the big screen. Movies were made about Hellblazer (released theatrically as Constantine), A History of Violence, Stardust and V for Vendetta. Preacher, another Vertigo title, is also being made into a television show by AMC Networks (AMCX).
iZombie tells the story of Gwen, a zombie who can pass as a regular girl, but must eat one brain a month to survive. After she consumes a human brain, she inherits thoughts from the deceased person's life. In the comic, Gwen works as a gravedigger, giving her access to human brains so she can survive. The television show will see Gwen as a coroner who also helps police determine cause of death because she can gain access to the thoughts of the dead.
iZombie will air its pilot episode on the CW. The CW has a young viewer base, and its comics programming is helping to boost the bottom line. (The channel is a joint venture between Time Warner and CBS (CBS).)Time Warner continues to push its own content onto the channel to monetize its comic characters. Currently, the DC Comics character Green Arrow is the focus of the show Arrow. The Flash, another DC Comics character will also get the small screen treatment on the CW. Supernatural, one of the most watched CW shows, is also working on a spinoff that could further increase network viewership.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV