SAN DIEGO, Feb. 1, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- General Dynamics NASSCO, a wholly owned subsidiary of General Dynamics (NYSE: GD), today christened the U.S. Navy's newest ship, USNS John Glenn (MLP-2). Named in honor of the famed Marine Corps pilot, Congressional Space Medal of Honor recipient and four-term U.S. senator, the USNS John Glenn is the second ship of three Mobile Landing Platform (MLP) vessels designed and built by NASSCO.
The Saturday morning christening ceremony took place at NASSCO's San Diego shipyard. Chief of Naval Operations Admiral Jonathan W. Greenert was the ceremony's principal speaker. Lyn Glenn, daughter of Senator Glenn, served as the ship's sponsor. She christened the ship by breaking the traditional bottle of champagne against the vessel's hull.
"With pride we christen the USNS John Glenn . May this ship serve our country well and be strengthened with the legacy of our distinguished guest, the Honorable John Glenn," said Fred Harris, president of General Dynamics NASSCO. "The USNS John Glenn carries with it the skill, dedication and the high regard for quality of the hundreds of men and women involved in its design and construction."The MLP is a flexible platform that will provide capability for large scale logistics movements such as the transfer of vehicles and equipment from sea to shore. It will significantly reduce dependency on foreign ports and provide support in the absence of any port, making it especially useful during disaster response and for supporting Marines once they are ashore. USNS John Glenn will be delivered to the Navy in the first quarter of 2014. More information about NASSCO can be found at www.nassco.com. SOURCE General Dynamics NASSCO
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV