This article originally appeared on Jan. 31, 2014, on RealMoney.com. To read more content like this plus see inside Jim Cramer's multimillion-dollar portfolio for FREE... Click Here NOW.
Let's not go crazy here.
The sellers were fearful, and the rally isn't going to dissuade them from coming back. There's enough angst to expect that those who were selling are worried about something happening this weekend.
Instead, let's recognize a few things that are working:
- Wal-Mart's (WMT - Get Report) up, so let's recognize that the bad quarter was baked in. Notice Costco's (COST - Get Report) hanging in there, too.
- The shorts are getting killed on Caterpillar (CAT - Get Report), now because of the amazing number from Manitowoc (MTW - Get Report).
- Under Armour (UA - Get Report) is a classic example of a stock that the buyers can't stay away from and the shorts are getting crushed in.
- We may be worried about the Chinese consumer, but one look at Wynn Resorts (WYNN) tells us that could be a misplaced worry as Macau is behind that movement.
- Lower interest rates may be a tell of danger in some parts of the economy but not the homebuilders, which are lapping it up.
- The independent oils are at last catching a bid. Could people be realizing that there's little value to Exxon Mobil (XOM) and Chevron (CVX) and that it is time to circle back to growth oils?
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV