How to Create a Wealth-Building Mindset
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Money has no conscience. It depends on yours. -- Valerie Coleman Morris
You may recognize her from CNN; she was a business anchor for them. We caught up with Valerie Coleman Morris, financial literacy advocate, to check on the state of the union's financial affairs.
Financial intelligence is the 21st century emancipation. If you are financially intelligent, that is your freedom, Morris says.
Morris, the author of It's Your Money, So Take It Personally encourages people to learn how to save, grow and invest. She specializes in helping people improve their "money intelligence" and wants people to know that money has consequences. She said that the goal of her book is to make sure that people secure their own financial lives and avoid passing on debt -- and the things that cause debt -- to the next generation.Here are some key points to her message:
- If you are single, do not wait until you find the person of your dreams; build your own financial life first. Then look forward to building a healthy financial life together with someone.
- If you are engaged, learn whether you are marrying a spender or a saver. Know how financially responsible your partner is beforehand. "When it comes to money and couples, you can talk about it now, or fight about it later. Money is the No. 1 cause of divorce," she says.
- Women -- especially African American women, who on average earn less money than men and women of other races doing the same job -- must create a wealth-building mindset. This is a mindset that women can share with their family. Having a financially responsible life can create generations of financially responsible people.
- Be honest with yourself. Are you in control of your money, or is you money in control of you? If you are already in control of your money, learn how to stay in control.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV