WASHINGTON, Jan. 31, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Pacific Gas and Electric Company (PG&E) announced today at the White House its commitment to addressing the challenges faced by the long-term unemployed and veteran populations. This will be done through PowerPathway™, PG&E's successful workforce development program.
In 2014, PG&E will build upon PowerPathway by:
- Conducting two PowerPathway workforce development programs in California's Fresno region for the long-term unemployed, focusing on long-term unemployed veterans.
- Providing 48 individuals with resume building and interview skills, technical training, education and other transferrable skills that can be used to help obtain a job in the skilled craft and utility industry.
The White House event, focused on long-term unemployment, started with PG&E Apprentice Lineman Erick Varela introducing President Barack Obama. Last April, Varela represented PG&E at the White House in a forum on job prospects for veterans in the utility industry.
At the event, PG&E committed to creating a local awareness campaign in partnership with regional stakeholders and to exploring the scalability and ability to replicate the success of PowerPathway. The program will target the long-term unemployed and veteran populations through state and federal utility organizations, including the California Energy and Utility Workforce Consortia and the Center for Energy Workforce Development.PG&E Chairman, CEO and President Tony Earley, a former U.S. Navy officer, is committed to creating career paths for the long-term unemployed and veterans. "We are pleased to have PG&E sign on to the President's initiative today," Earley said. "Unemployment rates are as high as 29 percent for young veterans like Erick – about 65 percent above those for other Americans in the same age group. PG&E has the opportunity to match our workforce needs with the great technical skills and leadership ability that veterans and other young people looking for work offer." PowerPathway works with educators to lay the foundation for developing new training and credentialing courses aimed at producing skilled workers needed for new energy jobs of the future.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts