Analysis: J. C. Penney Outlook Based on Debt Trading and Options Flow
TheStreet Premium Services
A complimentary preview
of Options-Profits Previews
JCP shares shed a few dollars after our note, and while they recovered from the $6.50 range into year-end things have turned ugly again and share price hit a multi-decade low yesterday and closed at $5.77. Those Jan15 5 puts are the largest position open, with more than 107,000 contracts outstanding and their closing price of $1.57 represents an impressive return for the buyer.
Implied vol and put/call skew in JCP spiked as well- to clear 'panic' levels with 118% implied vol and a massive premium in the downside puts, partly due to difficulty shorting shares.
In this case, an important part of the puzzle is outside the realm of most stock and options traders expertise as the debt JCP carries in the form of commercial paper and bonds. At this point (JCP down a few cents Friday morning) traders involved in JCP debt are likely to have the best picture of what the market makes of JCP in the long term.
Debt trading is less transparent than equity or options, but one trader I spoke with said the debt was implying a better chance of survival for JCP than he would have expected so I may look for an upside trade in JCP. The super-juiced vol and skew make puts the best sale, which may sound dicey, but with shares near $6, there is only that much risk remaining in the stock. An upside call position is also worth a look, with that steep skew and defined risk working in the buyer's favor.
OptionsProfits can be followed on Twitter at twitter.com/OptionsProfits
Henry can be followed on Twitter at twitter.com/OptionAlert
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Jim Cramer's Protégé, Dave Peltier, only buys Stocks Under $10 that he thinks could potentially double. See what he's trading today with a 14-day FREE pass.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV