ITT Educational Services (ESI) Is Today's Dead Cat Bounce Stock
- ESI has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $30.9 million.
- ESI has traded 52,844 shares today.
- ESI is up 3.5% today.
- ESI was down 21.1% yesterday.
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in ESI with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for ESI NOW at Trade-Ideas More details on ESI: ITT Educational Services, Inc. provides postsecondary degree programs in the United States. ESI has a PE ratio of 14.9. Currently there are 4 analysts that rate ITT Educational Services a buy, 2 analysts rate it a sell, and 5 rate it a hold. The average volume for ITT Educational Services has been 422,000 shares per day over the past 30 days. ITT Educational Services has a market cap of $925.4 million and is part of the services sector and diversified services industry. The stock has a beta of 1.75 and a short float of 83.6% with 8.05 days to cover. Shares are up 11.1% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Wednesday. STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. TheStreetRatings.com Analysis: TheStreet Quant Ratings rates ITT Educational Services as a hold. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its solid stock price performance, largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures and good cash flow from operations. However, as a counter to these strengths, we also find weaknesses including feeble growth in the company's earnings per share and deteriorating net income. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- Compared to its closing price of one year ago, ESI's share price has jumped by 208.31%, exceeding the performance of the broader market during that same time frame. Regarding the stock's future course, our hold rating indicates that we do not recommend additional investment in this stock despite its gains in the past year.
- ESI's debt-to-equity ratio is very low at 0.30 and is currently below that of the industry average, implying that there has been very successful management of debt levels. Along with the favorable debt-to-equity ratio, the company maintains an adequate quick ratio of 1.09, which illustrates the ability to avoid short-term cash problems.
- The gross profit margin for ITT EDUCATIONAL SERVICES INC is rather high; currently it is at 55.35%. Regardless of ESI's high profit margin, it has managed to decrease from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, ESI's net profit margin of 7.30% compares favorably to the industry average.
- The change in net income from the same quarter one year ago has exceeded that of the Diversified Consumer Services industry average, but is less than that of the S&P 500. The net income has significantly decreased by 55.8% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $42.86 million to $18.94 million.
- ITT EDUCATIONAL SERVICES INC has experienced a steep decline in earnings per share in the most recent quarter in comparison to its performance from the same quarter a year ago. Earnings per share have declined over the last two years. We anticipate that this should continue in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, ITT EDUCATIONAL SERVICES INC reported lower earnings of $5.76 versus $11.11 in the prior year. For the next year, the market is expecting a contraction of 28.7% in earnings ($4.11 versus $5.76).
- You can view the full ITT Educational Services Ratings Report.
STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV