MasterCard Incorporated (NYSE:MA) today announced financial results for the fourth quarter of 2013. Excluding a special item, the company reported net income of $684 million, up 13%, and earnings per diluted share of $0.57 (adjusted for the company’s ten-for-one stock split), up 16%, versus the year-ago period. Including the special item, a $61 million after-tax charge related to the opt-outs in the U.S. merchant litigations, the company reported net income of $623 million, or $0.52 per diluted share. The net income and earnings per diluted share, excluding the special item, are reconciled to their comparable GAAP measures in the accompanying tables.
Net revenue for the fourth quarter of 2013 was $2.1 billion, a 12% increase versus the same period in 2012. Adjusted for currency, net revenue increased 11%. Net revenue growth was driven by the impact of the following:
- A 14% increase in gross dollar volume, on a local currency basis, to $1.1 trillion;
- An increase in cross-border volumes of 18%; and
- An increase in processed transactions of 13%, to 10.4 billion.
These factors were partially offset by an increase in rebates and incentives, primarily due to new and renewed agreements and increased volumes.
Worldwide purchase volume during the quarter was up 12% on a local currency basis versus the fourth quarter of 2012, to $805 billion. As of December 31, 2013, the company’s customers had issued almost 2 billion MasterCard and Maestro-branded cards.“We are very pleased with our performance this quarter and our full-year 2013 results reflect the overall strength of our global business,” said Ajay Banga, MasterCard president and CEO. “In addition to signing several significant deals last quarter, we made new investments in processing and person-to person payments while expanding our MasterPass digital platform - all supporting safe and seamless payment experiences.”
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV