PITTSBURGH and MUMBAI, India, Jan. 31, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Mylan Inc. (Nasdaq: MYL) today announced that its India-based subsidiary Mylan Pharmaceuticals Private Limited has been named Gilead Sciences, Inc.'s (Nasdaq: GILD) exclusive branded medicines business partner for India.
Under the agreement, Mylan will market and distribute in India Gilead's:
- HIV therapies Viread ® (tenofovir disoproxil fumarate), Truvada ® (emtricitabine/tenofovir disoproxil fumarate) and the newer single tablet regimen Stribild ® (elvitegravir 150 mg/cobicistat 150 mg/emtricitabine 200 mg/tenofovir disoproxil fumarate 300 mg)
- AmBisome ® (amphotericin B liposome for injection), a treatment for life-threatening, systemic fungal infections, which is also used to treat the parasitic disease visceral leishmaniasis
- Viread ® for its indication as a treatment for chronic hepatitis B virus (HBV) infection.
Gilead has partnered with Mylan since 2006, granting the company rights to manufacture and sell their own generic versions of licensed Gilead HIV therapies in India and up to 111 developing world countries where the HIV epidemic affects millions of individuals. Mylan will continue to maintain these rights, in addition to those in this new agreement.
Mylan CEO Heather Bresch commented, "This further extension of our collaboration with Gilead builds off of our existing successful partnership manufacturing and supplying high-quality, cost-effective generic antiretroviral therapy for those in resource challenged countries, delivering on our mission of providing access to high quality medicine to the world's seven billion people."Gilead's executive vice president of Corporate and Medical Affairs, Gregg H. Alton said, "The appointment of Mylan as our branded medicine business partner in India is a result of their strong knowledge of the Indian healthcare system and demonstrated capabilities of supporting and distributing antiretroviral therapies. We have established an excellent working relationship with Mylan over the past few years, and believe that their operations in India will allow the company to best serve the needs of patients in that country." In addition to distributing branded Gilead medicines, Mylan will manage regulatory and pharmacovigilance activity, such as adverse event reporting, as well as broader medical education initiatives.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV