Super Bowl Billboard Battle Goes Into OT
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- The big game may be Sunday, but another battle is brewing with highway billboards. The first offensive move was made by the Marijuana Policy Project when the pro pot group installed a series of billboards highlighting the safety of marijuana. The group specifically challenged the NFL's punishment of pot smoking vs. the approval of alcohol.
Smart Approaches to Marijuana an anti-marijuana group went on the defense with their own billboards. The group is led by Patrick Kennedy and the billboard says Marijuana Kills Your Drive. The pushback didn't go over so well with the MPP folks.
Their next play was to put up two more billboards in response, spoofing SAM's original billboard. Patrick Kennedy is a former U.S. Representative of Rhode Island and son of former Massachusetts Senator Ted Kennedy. He is a recovering alcoholic and he co-founded SAM last year with Dr. Kevin Sabet, whom Salon magazine named the "quarterback of the new anti-drug movement" and David Frum a conservative Republican who was a former speechwriter for President Bush.
Kennedy has been quoting as saying, "I agree with the president, alcohol is more dangerous than marijuana." However, Kennedy also stated that marijuana leads to mental illness. The billboards for SAM are funded by Policy Solutions Group, a consulting company run by Dr. Sabet.SAM seems to be mostly focused on keeping marijuana away from kids, not necessarily adults. The billboards do seem to be directed at teens rather than adults. However, MPP gets very defensive towards any negative commentary on cannabis.
Either way the tit for tat is good business for billboard owners.
-- Written by Debra Borchardt in New York
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV