Healthcare Trust of America (NYSE: HTA) shares currently have a dividend yield of 5.40%. Healthcare Trust of America is a fully integrated, self-administered and internally managed real estate investment trust, or REIT. The company acquires, owns and operates medical office buildings and other facilities that serve the healthcare industry. The company has a P/E ratio of 134.25. The average volume for Healthcare Trust of America has been 1,586,000 shares per day over the past 30 days. Healthcare Trust of America has a market cap of $2.5 billion and is part of the real estate industry. Shares are up 6.6% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Wednesday. TheStreet Ratings rates Healthcare Trust of America as a hold. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its compelling growth in net income, revenue growth and good cash flow from operations. However, as a counter to these strengths, we also find weaknesses including poor profit margins and relatively poor performance when compared with the S&P 500 during the past year. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs) industry. The net income increased by 263.4% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from -$2.95 million to $4.82 million.
- Despite its growing revenue, the company underperformed as compared with the industry average of 9.6%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 6.5%. This growth in revenue appears to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, improving the earnings per share.
- HEALTHCARE TRUST OF AMERICA reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, HEALTHCARE TRUST OF AMERICA reported poor results of -$0.10 versus $0.00 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($0.14 versus -$0.10).
- In its most recent trading session, HTA has closed at a price level that was not very different from its closing price of one year earlier. This is probably due to its weak earnings growth as well as other mixed factors. We feel that the combination of its price rise over the last year and its current price-to-earnings ratio relative to its industry tend to reduce its upside potential.
- The gross profit margin for HEALTHCARE TRUST OF AMERICA is rather low; currently it is at 24.00%. Regardless of HTA's low profit margin, it has managed to increase from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, HTA's net profit margin of 5.84% is significantly lower than the industry average.
- You can view the full Healthcare Trust of America Ratings Report.
- Our dividend calendar.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts