Pepco Holdings (NYSE: POM) shares currently have a dividend yield of 5.70%. Pepco Holdings, Inc., through its subsidiaries, engages in the transmission, distribution, and supply of electricity. The company also distributes and supplies natural gas. The company has a P/E ratio of 29.37. The average volume for Pepco Holdings has been 1,971,700 shares per day over the past 30 days. Pepco Holdings has a market cap of $4.8 billion and is part of the utilities industry. Shares are down 0.4% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Wednesday. TheStreet Ratings rates Pepco Holdings as a hold. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its growth in earnings per share, good cash flow from operations and increase in net income. However, as a counter to these strengths, we also find weaknesses including a generally disappointing performance in the stock itself, disappointing return on equity and generally higher debt management risk. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- PEPCO HOLDINGS INC has improved earnings per share by 15.8% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, PEPCO HOLDINGS INC reported lower earnings of $0.98 versus $1.14 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($1.12 versus $0.98).
- Net operating cash flow has slightly increased to $302.00 million or 2.37% when compared to the same quarter last year. Despite an increase in cash flow, PEPCO HOLDINGS INC's average is still marginally south of the industry average growth rate of 3.73%.
- POM, with its decline in revenue, slightly underperformed the industry average of 2.3%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly dropped by 3.2%. The declining revenue has not hurt the company's bottom line, with increasing earnings per share.
- The company's current return on equity has slightly decreased from the same quarter one year prior. This implies a minor weakness in the organization. Compared to other companies in the Electric Utilities industry and the overall market on the basis of return on equity, PEPCO HOLDINGS INC underperformed against that of the industry average and is significantly less than that of the S&P 500.
- In its most recent trading session, POM has closed at a price level that was not very different from its closing price of one year earlier. This is probably due to its weak earnings growth as well as other mixed factors. Looking ahead, we do not see anything in this company's numbers that would change the one-year trend. It was down over the last twelve months; and it could be down again in the next twelve. Naturally, a bull or bear market could sway the movement of this stock.
- You can view the full Pepco Holdings Ratings Report.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts