Thermo Fisher Scientific (TMO) Showing Signs Of Being A Momo Momentum Stock
Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link.Trade-Ideas LLC identified Thermo Fisher Scientific (TMO) as a momo momentum candidate. In addition to specific proprietary factors, Trade-Ideas identified Thermo Fisher Scientific as such a stock due to the following factors:
- TMO has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $293.8 million.
- TMO has a PE ratio of 30.3.
- TMO is currently in the upper 30% of its 1-year range.
- TMO is in the upper 25% of its 20-day range.
- TMO is in the upper 35% of its 5-day range.
- TMO is currently trading above yesterday's high.
- TMO has experienced a gap between today's open and yesterday's close of 3.7%.
'Momo Momentum' stocks are valuable stocks to watch for a variety of reasons including historical back testing and price action. Market technicians refer to such stocks as being in a mark-up phase before a possible distribution period and price decline. Technical analysts and traders frequently find that the factors referenced above tend to create a temporary burst of strong wind in a stock's sail. Nevertheless, all successful traders must excel at maximizing gains while keeping losses to an absolute minimum. For that reason, the holding period on momo momentum stocks must always be a primary consideration, and this part of the puzzle is ultimately at the discretion of each individual's risk tolerance and portfolio risk management skills.EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in TMO with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for TMO NOW at Trade-IdeasMore details on TMO: Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. provides analytical instruments, equipment, reagents and consumables, software, and services for research, manufacture, analysis, discovery, and diagnostics. The stock currently has a dividend yield of 0.6%. TMO has a PE ratio of 30.3. Currently there are 12 analysts that rate Thermo Fisher Scientific a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and none rate it a hold.The average volume for Thermo Fisher Scientific has been 1.7 million shares per day over the past 30 days. Thermo Fisher Scientific has a market cap of $39.7 billion and is part of the health care sector and health services industry. The stock has a beta of 1.07 and a short float of 12% with 13.45 days to cover. Shares are up 0.9% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Tuesday.STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.TheStreetRatings.com Analysis:TheStreet Quant Ratings rates Thermo Fisher Scientific as a buy. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its solid stock price performance, revenue growth, reasonable valuation levels, growth in earnings per share and expanding profit margins. Although the company may harbor some minor weaknesses, we feel they are unlikely to have a significant impact on results.Highlights from the ratings report include:
- Investors have apparently begun to recognize positive factors similar to those we have mentioned in this report, including earnings growth. This has helped drive up the company's shares by a sharp 61.61% over the past year, a rise that has exceeded that of the S&P 500 Index. Regarding the stock's future course, although almost any stock can fall in a broad market decline, TMO should continue to move higher despite the fact that it has already enjoyed a very nice gain in the past year.
- Despite its growing revenue, the company underperformed as compared with the industry average of 6.8%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 3.4%. This growth in revenue appears to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, improving the earnings per share.
- THERMO FISHER SCIENTIFIC INC's earnings per share improvement from the most recent quarter was slightly positive. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past two years. We feel that this trend should continue. During the past fiscal year, THERMO FISHER SCIENTIFIC INC increased its bottom line by earning $3.44 versus $2.67 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($5.37 versus $3.44).
- 45.86% is the gross profit margin for THERMO FISHER SCIENTIFIC INC which we consider to be strong. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Regardless of the strong results of the gross profit margin, the net profit margin of 9.95% trails the industry average.
- You can view the full Thermo Fisher Scientific Ratings Report.
STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV