Business diversification at Microsoft
The PC market could very well be permanently shrinking, thanks to the growth in smartphones and other mobile devices.
However Microsoft is a diversified business, and will try to maintain growth in its other markets, including enterprise. On the supplier side, AMD and Intel are both reducing their reliance on PC sales: AMD by focusing on console chips and Intel as the primary chip maker for Windows mobile devices. Even with the uncertainty, a refresh in Windows can still be a boost to all big players in the PC sector.
(Written by Chris Lau, a Kapitall Contributor. Disclosure: Author has a long position in AMD.)
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV