$15 billion regional banking name M&T Bank (MTB) is another name that's ranked high on investors' hate list for the last year. And the firm's short interest ratio of 11.82 indicates that shorts are still actively in this name.
M&T Bank is one of the big regional banking names that shone during the financial crisis of 2008. By actually sticking to retail and commercial banking in the fat years leading up to the real estate crash, M&T had the stronger underwriting standards it needed to make it though the lean years. While a regulatory edict to improve risk management has got short sellers salivating, the opportunity is overblown, especially considering the wider margins and cheaper valuation that MTB sports relative to its "big four" peers.With a 2.5% dividend yield, M&T has been one of the better income options in the banking industry. Regulators are stingy about letting banks pay cash to shareholders, so the dividend is an important vote of confidence from some of the people who know M&T's financials most intimately. MTB is a crowded name for shorts right now.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV