Excluding HHI, net sales for legacy Spectrum Brands of $822.2 million in the first quarter of fiscal 2014 decreased 1.7 percent versus $836.3 million in fiscal 2013, or 1.5 percent excluding the negative impact of foreign currency. The sales decline was primarily attributable to lower revenues in the Global Pet Supplies division due primarily to timing and retailer inventory reductions, as well as the one-time, incremental sales impact, primarily flashlights, of approximately $10 million in the prior year from Hurricane Sandy.
Gross profit and gross profit margin in the first quarter of fiscal 2014 of $381.2 million and 34.6 percent, respectively, compared to $288.2 million and 33.1 percent last year. Including HHI in the full prior year period on a pro forma basis, gross profit margin of 34.6 percent in this year’s first quarter increased from 34.2 percent a year ago. The gross profit margin for legacy Spectrum Brands of 34.2 percent in the first quarter of fiscal 2014 compared to 34.1 percent in fiscal 2013.
Spectrum Brands reported net income of $54.3 million, or $1.03 diluted income per share, in the first quarter of fiscal 2014 on average shares and common stock equivalents outstanding of 52.7 million. In fiscal 2013, the Company reported a net loss of $13.4 million, or $0.26 diluted loss per share, on average shares and common stock equivalents outstanding of 51.8 million. Adjusted for certain items in both fiscal years, which are presented in Table 3 of this press release and which management believes are not indicative of the Company’s ongoing normalized operations, the Company generated adjusted diluted earnings per share, a non-GAAP measure, of $1.09 in the first quarter of fiscal 2014, a 39.7 percent increase compared to $0.78 in the prior year, including HHI in the full prior year period on a pro forma basis.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV