Instead, Apple is looking at something more important than unit share, and that's unit sales. Continued growth in unit sales is a healthy sign. Here's a chart of Apple's iPhone unit sales (in millions per quarter) since the iPhone launch in 2007.
This growth curve, with a best fit, looks like the rising part of the classic Gaussian curve. Sitting on the early, growth part of the Gaussian curve means that more growth, exponential growth, is in the offing, and that's what investors should be fundamentally interested in because it reflects the long-term health and prosperity of Apple.
Continued growth in unit sales means Apple isn't going out of business anytime soon, contrary to inattentive analysis by some.On the other hand, competing for unit share with a degraded brand and lower prices (again, unable to meet demand -- for awhile) would mean that customers would rally behind the former underdogs who would seize opportunity for leadership, and the unit sales Gaussian would start to peak and then decline too early. That means Apple's hand would be forced with regard to the timing of its new product categories, for example, the mythical iWatch or a next generation TV system. The rising part of the Gaussian for unit sales of an existing product is the right time to be developing a future product. Follow @jmartellaro This article represents the opinion of a contributor and not necessarily that of TheStreet or its editorial staff.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV