Number of ads: Two 60-second ads
Number of cars sold in 2013: 565,000
Volkswagen wants to be a big player in the U.S. market, but its sales here have been a story of two brands.
Audi saw sales jump more than 13% last year as it continues to gain on Lexus, Infiniti, Mercedes-Benz and BMW. Meanwhile, this year's 60-second Super Bowl spot is already looking like one of the best of 2014. Sarah McLachlan pops up with a desperate plea to help the poor misunderstood Doberhuahua breed of dogs concocted by a couple that couldn't make up its mind. The big-headed, small-bodied dogs go on a rampage and terrorize the globe before the couple, safe within the confines of their Audi A3, learns a valuable lesson: Don't compromise... ever.Volkswagen's namesake brand wishes it was that personable. Volkswagen sales plummeted nearly 7% last year as its market share dropped to less than 3%. Its ad, meanwhile, cribs from It's A Wonderful Life as a father tells his daughter that each time a VW hits 100,000 miles, a German engineer gets its wings. Seriously, that's the entire premise. The key difference is that while Audi has ingratiated itself to the luxury car buyer and made an attempt to relate to the U.S. market, Volkswagen has largely forgotten its '90s strategy of Jettas, tunes and Fahrvergnugen and adopted both styles and a public persona buyers are quick to shrug off. Audi may be a player in the U.S. market, but Volkswagen needs to stop playing around and get back to basics.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV