Number of ads: Three ads (including one 60-second spot for Kia)
Number of cars sold in 2013: 1.26 million
Back when Chrysler and General Motors were taking government bailouts, Hyundai thought it would be a great idea to capitalize on their Super Bowl absence and snap up some market share. The company spent $67.4 million over the past five years trying to take a larger cut of the U.S. market and kick domestic competitors while they were down.
It seemed like a good idea on paper, but there's a reason they play the games. Hyundai's 60-second ad last year only helped increase U.S. sales 2.5%. With the competition posting far greater gains, Hyundai saw its U.S. market share slip from 4.9% to 4.6%.
Kia, meanwhile, got a 4% downturn in U.S. sales for its investment and saw market share dwindle from 3.8% to 3.4%. This year, Hyundai is going to try using Johnny Galecki from CBS' The Big Bang Theory to sell Elantras with help from comedian Richard Lewis, while taking a softer approach with a father/son ad built around the emergency braking system in the Hyundai Genesis. Kia, meanwhile, is leaning heavily on Lawrence Fishburne and a decade-old Matrix reference to introduce its K900 sedan that will serve as the line's flagship.The good news is that, going into Super Bowl Sunday, Hyundai/Kia's combined 8% market share is now roughly that of Nissan and within reach of Honda's 9.8%. The bad news? Those companies' sales are accelerating faster than either Hyundai or Kia can.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV