GLEN ALLEN, Va., Jan. 29, 2014 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- First Capital Bancorp, Inc. (the "Company") (Nasdaq:FCVA) parent company to First Capital Bank (the "Bank") reported today its financial results for the fourth quarter of 2013. For the three months ended December 31, 2013, the Company had net income of $1.0 million and net income available to common shareholders of $916 thousand, or $0.06 per diluted share, compared to net income of $641 thousand and net income available to common shareholders of $555 thousand, or $0.04 per diluted share, for the same period in 2012. This represents a $361 thousand or 56.32% increase in net income in the fourth quarter of 2013 compared to the fourth quarter of 2012 and a $360 thousand or 64.75% increase in net income available to common shareholders.
For the year ended December 31, 2013, the Company had net income of $3.9 million and net income available to common shareholders of $3.5 million or $0.25 per diluted share compared to a net loss of $6.0 million and a net loss allocable to common shareholders of $6.6 million or ($0.76) per diluted share for the same period in 2012. The loss for 2012 was due primarily to the implementation of the Asset Resolution Plan associated with the Company's May 2012 Rights offering.Factors contributing to the Company's increase in net income during the fourth quarter of 2013 are as follows:
- Net interest income improved to $4.8 million for the fourth quarter of 2013, compared to $4.2 million in the fourth quarter of 2012, an increase of $516 thousand or 12.17%.
- A recovery of the provision for loan losses of $200 thousand during the 2013 quarter was recognized, compared to a provision for loan losses of $165 thousand in the fourth quarter of 2012, resulting in a $365 thousand quarter over quarter improvement.
- Noninterest income totaled $437 thousand for the fourth quarter of 2013 compared to $634 thousand in the fourth quarter of 2012, a decrease of $197 thousand or 31.2%, driven by the decrease in gains on sales of mortgage loans experienced in the fourth quarter of 2013.
- Total noninterest expense was $4.1 million for the fourth quarter of 2013, compared to $3.7 million in the fourth quarter of 2012, an increase of $408 thousand or 11.05%, primarily due to an increase in salaries and employment benefits related to incentive accruals and a one-time accelerated restricted stock vesting expense of approximately $205 thousand. These increases were partially offset by decreases in professional services, marketing and FDIC assessments.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV