This article originally appeared on Jan. 24, 2014, on RealMoney.com. To read more content like this + see inside Jim Cramer's multimillion dollar portfolio for FREE... Click Here NOW.
NEW YORK (Real Money) -- Starbucks (SBUX) ended up working out today. Given the overall market conditions, I feel a bit fortunate to make any money in the trade. It wound up costing me a bit more than I anticipated, as the total trade was $12.10 for every three of the diagonal spread combinations as well as two of the January skip-strike call combos. Still, I was able to sell them for $13.75 and pull in some money on an otherwise ugly day.
I did take a few long-side stabs and made some pin play attempts today. It was negative across the board. We are in a very tough short-term environment. Unless you enjoy the gap risk overnight, right now is not the time to be taking a lot of swing trades in either direction.
I did buy some Valero Energy Partners (VLP) today for my long-term buy-and-hold account. Valero Energy (VLO) is following the exact same path as Phillips 66 (PSX). This leads me to conclude Valero has some more upside based on the how Phillips's spinoff, Phillips 66 Partners (PSXP) has performed. I also think the distributions will be a bit higher on Valero Energy, but I would have no problem holding both.
As we head into the close, I think we want to see a bounce and not a close at the lows. A close at the lows will lead me to believe that folks not following the action today will be spooked over the weekend and spur more initial downside action into Monday. If we don't see some type of positive close today, then we absolutely need something positive out of China over the weekend. If not, then then SPDR S&P 500 (SPY) may get to that $174-$176 range more quickly than I anticipated.
At the time of publication, Collins was long VLO.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV