ANF Options Reaction to new Corporate Structure
TheStreet Premium Services
A complimentary preview
of Options-Profits Previews
The company has been struggling recently as teenagers are less interested in paying a premium for the brand's t-shirts. The stock has been trading between $32 and $38 since August 2013. While the lower share price and these conciliatory measures make the company a more attractive target, the company has not yet put forward a turnaround strategy.
So far, the options market has not reacted significantly to the news, with only 4,000 contracts traded by late Wednesday morning. Moreover patterns of overall option pricing in recent weeks suggest that investors are not willing to pay a premium for ANF as a turnaround candidate or as a takeover target. Since 2012, the mean realized one year volatility of the stock has been about 55%. Option implied volatility at a one year expiration has been priced that high on a few occasions, but has averaged closer to 40% since the beginning of 2013. At a closer horizon, we see the same thing: quarterly premiums are priced near 40% in implied volatility terms, versus 46% realized volatility in the shares over the last three months.
If anything, options seem to be priced at a relative discount, which is not a positive sign for shareholders. If market expectations were for a turnaround in the company or that an activist would come in with a respectable bid, we would expect to see options trade at a premium to recent historical volatility. Instead, markets are pricing ANF contracts for more of the same.
OptionsProfits can be followed on Twitter at twitter.com/OptionsProfits
Jared can be followed on Twitter at twitter.com/CondorOptions
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Jim Cramer's Protégé, Dave Peltier, only buys Stocks Under $10 that he thinks could potentially double. See what he's trading today with a 14-day FREE pass.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV