Emerging-Market Bond Funds Bet on Rebound
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- With markets sinking in Asia and Latin America, investors have been dumping emerging-market bonds.
During the past year, emerging-market bond mutual funds lost 9.3%, according to Morningstar. In the fourth quarter of 2013, unhappy shareholders withdrew $4 billion from the funds, a sizable outflow for a category that has $69 billion in assets.
At a time when some economies are slowing, the emerging markets face clear headwinds. But there are good reasons to think that the bond funds can deliver single-digit returns this year. Many countries still have solid balance sheets. And after the recent downturn, plenty of bonds sell at bargain prices and offer compelling yields.
"There is tremendous value in some emerging-markets bonds vs. what you can get in the U.S.," says David Robbins, portfolio manager of TCW Emerging Markets Income (TGEIX).
Robbins says that yields are 4.5% on U.S. corporate bonds that are rated double-B, the highest level in the below-investment grade universe. In contrast, some investment-grade corporate bonds in Brazil yield 6.4% or more.
As recently as a year ago, emerging-market bonds were recording steady gains. At a time when developed markets struggled with sluggish economies and huge debt burdens, many countries in Latin America and Asia recorded solid growth.
Then last May, Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke mentioned the idea of tapering the central bank's bond purchases. In response, most bonds sank. Losses were particularly severe for emerging markets. Investors worried that interest rates in the U.S. would rise, making yields in emerging markets less competitive.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV