The industrial chemicals producer recorded fourth-quarter net income of 65 cents a share, beating Thomson Reuters consensus by 22 cents. Revenue of $14.4 billion came in 3.6% higher than a year earlier and beat estimates by $255 million.
For its December-ended full year, earnings of $2.48 a share jumped 30.5% over fiscal 2012 and beat expectations by 19 cents a share. The Michigan-based business recorded $57.08 billion in revenue, $226 million over consensus.
"While we are seeing positive trends in major economies as we enter 2014, global growth remains tentative, continuing to drive business uncertainty. Against this backdrop, we believe we are in a strong position to further enhance shareholder value," said CEO Andrew Liveris in a statement.The board approved a quarterly dividend of 37 cents a share, a 15.6% increase from its prior dividend, payable on April 30 to shareholders of record on March 31. Before the bell Wednesday, shares had added 5.9% to $45.60. TheStreet Ratings team rates DOW CHEMICAL as a Buy with a ratings score of B+. The team has this to say about their recommendation: "We rate DOW CHEMICAL (DOW) a BUY. This is driven by some important positives, which we believe should have a greater impact than any weaknesses, and should give investors a better performance opportunity than most stocks we cover. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its compelling growth in net income, revenue growth, solid stock price performance, reasonable valuation levels and good cash flow from operations. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company shows low profit margins."
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: DOW Ratings Report
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV