Move Over, IRA -- MyRA's the New Kid in Town
Encouraging savings is a positive step, but I'm not sure this will achieve a great deal of additional retirement security. It makes me wonder whether the birth of MyRA may also be an admission of what some of us already believe: that social security is not as secure as some in the government have proclaimed, and that the writing is on the wall that benefit cuts and increasing the retirement age will have to occur at some point in the future.
To create real retirement security in this country, the government could start by creating an environment that is conducive to hiring. Many won't even be able to participate in MyRA because they can't find work. First things first.
Finally, how about allowing workers to invest a portion of their social security contributions into the markets? An old idea, for sure, and not a popular one with many, but I have more faith in long-term market returns and my ability to manage a portfolio and reduce risk as retirement approaches, than I do that my guaranteed social security will be there upon my retirement.
At the time of publication, the author held no positions in any of the stocks mentioned.Follow @JonMHellerCFA This article represents the opinion of a contributor and not necessarily that of TheStreet or its editorial staff.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV