Global Macro: Look for More Consumer Demand in Growth Number
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- The U.S. fourth-quarter gross-domestic-product growth figure -- released tomorrow -- should be above 3% as consumer demand likely increased and the trade gap contracted in the final three months of the year.
Consumer spending continues to move higher off of its bottom during the 2008 financial crisis. Consumers account for around two-thirds of economic activity, making personal consumption a very important indicator of the overall economy.
In December, real consumer spending rose 2%, versus estimates for a 1.4% advance. The robust number showed that even with poor weather, consumers weren't deterred from going out and spending.
Additionally, the U.S. trade gap contracted in the fourth quarter. The trade gap measures net exports and is added to the economic growth figure. When a country runs a trade surplus, the number is added to growth, and when a country runs a deficit, the number is subtracted from the figure.The U.S. continues to run a net trade deficit, but lower oil prices and a stronger U.S. dollar have led to a contraction in the deficit. Oil prices were lower because of diminishing risks in the Middle East and an increase in supplies. Meanwhile, a stronger U.S. dollar made imports relatively cheaper. The Federal Reserve cut stimulus in December, leading to an increase in bond yields. The higher yields led the market to bid the dollar higher versus its foreign competitors. US Real GDP Growth data by YCharts Follow @macroinsights This article represents the opinion of a contributor and not necessarily that of TheStreet or its editorial staff.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV