Michaels Is Pretty Sure Hackers Got Your Data
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- What is it about retailers and their lax controls over customers' credit card data?
Last month, Target was hit by a data security breach, leaving credit card data from 70 million customers vulnerable to theft. Early in January, Neiman Marcus reported that 1 million of its shoppers were affected by a data breach linked to the retailer's cash register network.
This week, Michaels Stores, the home crafts retailer, reported that it was reviewing evidence of a possible breach.
"We are concerned there may have been a data security attack on Michaels that may have affected our customers' payment card information, and we are taking aggressive action to determine the nature and scope of the issue," Michaels' Chief Executive Chuck Rubin said Saturday.reported that "hundreds" of credit cards experiencing fraudulent purchases were "traced back to Michaels" in recent weeks:
Sources with four different financial institutions have over the past few days said hundreds of customer cards that recently had been used for fraudulent purchases all traced back to Michaels stores as the common point of purchase.On Friday, the site heard from a fraud analyst at a large credit card processor that was seeing fraud over the previous two days from hundreds of cards that all been recently used at Michaels. The fraudulent purchases, the source said, took place at big box stores such as BestBuy and Target. Michaels' shoppers can check in with the retailer's website. The company promised to keep customers updated.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV