THOUSAND OAKS, Calif., Jan. 28, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Amgen (NASDAQ:AMGN) today announced that the Phase 3 LAPLACE-2 ( LDL-C Assessment with P CSK9 Monoclona L Antibody Inhibition Combined with Statin Th Erapy-2) trial evaluating evolocumab in combination with statin therapy in patients with high cholesterol met its co-primary endpoints: the percent reduction from baseline in low-density lipoprotein cholesterol (LDL-C) at week 12 and the mean percent reduction from baseline in LDL-C at weeks 10 and 12. The mean percent reductions in LDL-C, or "bad" cholesterol, were consistent with the published results observed for the same doses in the Phase 2 LAPLACE-TIMI 57 (LAPLACE- Thrombolysis In Myocardial Infarction-57) trial for evolocumab compared to placebo; and in the Phase 2 MENDEL ( Monoclonal Antibody Against PCSK9 to Reduce Elevated LDL-C in Patients Currently Not Receiving Drug Therapy For Easing Lipid Levels) study for evolocumab compared to ezetimibe. 1-2
Evolocumab is an investigational fully human monoclonal antibody that inhibits proprotein convertase subtilisin/kexin type 9 (PCSK9), a protein that reduces the liver's ability to remove LDL-C from the blood. 3
The LAPLACE-2 trial evaluated safety, tolerability and efficacy of evolocumab in combination with statin therapy compared to placebo and ezetimibe in 1,896 patients with high cholesterol. Patients were randomized to one of 24 treatment groups to compare subcutaneous evolocumab (140 mg every two weeks or 420 mg monthly) with subcutaneous placebo (every two weeks or monthly) or ezetimibe (10 mg daily) when added to different daily doses of statin therapies.
Safety was balanced across treatment groups. No adverse events (AEs) occurred in ≥ 2 percent of the evolocumab combined group. The most common AEs in the evolocumab combined group were back pain, arthralgia, headache, muscle spasms and pain in extremity.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV