Craft Brew Alliance, Inc. (“CB A ”) (NASDAQ:BREW), an independent craft brewing company, today announced preliminary 2013 financial results and plans for continued growth in 2014 and beyond by building on the company’s successful portfolio strategy and opportunity to capture gross margin expansion.
Preliminary results for the fourth quarter 2013 include:
- A strong close to 2013 highlighted by 10% growth in depletions over the fourth quarter of 2012, the third consecutive quarter of double-digit depletion growth.
- An increase in net sales and branded beer shipments of 5.4% and 6.1%, respectively, in the fourth quarter.
- A decrease in gross margin rate by 100 basis points to 26.0% in the fourth quarter compared to the fourth quarter last year primarily due to shifts in product mix and increased distribution-related costs.
- Diluted earnings per share (“EPS”) of $0.04 for the quarter versus 2012 EPS of $0.01 primarily as a result of an increase in gross profit and decreases in SG&A.
Preliminary results for the full year 2013 include:
- Net sales growth of 6%, reflecting the continued strength of the Kona Brewing, Redhook Brewery and Omission brands, as well as continued repositioning of the Widmer Brothers brand.
- Depletion growth of 11% and owned brands shipment growth of nearly 8%, reflecting the continuing strength of our complimentary portfolio of craft beers.
- Contract brewing revenue reduction of 40% as a result of the termination of certain contract brewing contracts in late 2012.
- Gross margin rate of 28.1%, a reduction of 150 basis points from 2012, primarily due to product mix and distribution costs in our beer business and lower restaurant business margin related to our Woodinville pub remodel.
- Selling, general and administrative expense (“SG&A”) of $46.5 million, an increase of $1.6 million from 2012, reflecting continued investments in brand development and sales capabilities, partially offset by the leverage of one-time spending in prior years.
- EPS of $0.10 versus 2012 EPS of $0.13.
- Capital expenditures of approximately $8.8 million, reflecting continued investments in capacity, our pubs, efficiency and quality initiatives.
“For everyone who knows me, it will come as no surprise that I am candidly mixed in terms of how I feel about our financial performance last year”, said CB A Chief Executive Officer Andy Thomas. “On the one hand, I am extremely proud of the record growth in sales and brand momentum that we achieved; but on the other hand, I know we can do much better given the talent, strategy and structure we have in place. In looking ahead, I am wholly committed to seeing us apply the same resolve and discipline towards improving our bottom line that we did to achieve our strong topline growth last year. Additionally, with our plans to expand our brewing capability in the Southeast, along with CB A ’s new leadership team, I look forward to seeing us continue to build on our successes and deliver both strong topline and bottom line growth for the full year. Finally, I want to take a moment to thank our former CEO, Terry Michaelson, who was critical in helping establish CB A ’s advantaged strategy and growth over the past several years; I am honored to step into his shoes and grateful for his continued support this year.”Components of anticipated 2014 results and developments are: Portfolio Highlights
- We believe our national portfolio strategy will continue to drive strong topline growth and differentiate us from others in our high-growth market.
- Widmer Brothers celebrates a significant milestone in 2014, which marks the brewery’s 30 th anniversary. Celebration initiatives include six new collaborations with Oregon craft brewers, special 30 th anniversary events and beers, as well as the launch of a new signature year-round IPA, Upheaval.
- Our fastest growth brand, Kona Brewing, celebrates its 20 th anniversary this year, and we are excited to be expanding into four new states as well as launching Castaway IPA on the mainland.
- Redhook will continue to build on its strong national partnerships, including Dan Patrick, Buffalo Wild Wings, and theCHIVE. Additionally, we announced the national expansion of KCCO Black Lager, Redhook’s first collaboration with theCHIVE, earlier this year.
- We look forward to putting an increased focus and investment behind Omission, our innovative fast-growing craft beer that has been specially crafted to remove gluten.
- Additionally, we will continue our commitment to innovation in adjacent categories like cider and cross-brand packaging to bring the power of CB A ’s portfolio to consumers and retailers in exciting ways.
- We look forward to continued international expansion across all brand families.
- Building on our successful track record in developing strong partnerships, we will be expanding our brewing footprint in the Southeast mid-year. This new partnership will help to improve gross margin by bringing brewing capability closer to growing markets while alleviating emerging capacity constraints driven by growth in the East region and internationally.
- We will continue to transform our supply chain to drive further efficiencies in how we partner with our wholesalers.
- Additionally, as a result of SKU rationalization, we look forward to continued growth in our topline as well as significant improvements in gross margin performance for the year.
- Depletion growth estimate of 7% to 11%.
- Average price increase of 1%-2%.
- Growth in contract brewing revenue of 25% to 50% as a result of new partnerships.
- Gross margin rate of 28.5% to 30.5%. As we continue to optimize our brewing locations and improve our capacity utilization and efficiency, we expect our gross margin rate to expand 500-700 basis points over the next five years.
- SG&A expense ranging from $52 million to $54 million primarily reflecting reinvestment into our sales and marketing infrastructure.
- Capital expenditures of approximately $15 million to $20 million, continuing our investments in capacity and efficiency improvements, quality initiatives and restaurant and retail.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV