Don't forget, this was a company that only a few years prior was gutted and left for dead. The Street was rightfully skeptical of these changes. But with strong improvements in efficiency, which then expanded margins, investors had no choice but pay attention. Management's new strategy was working to perfection.
So as any smart team would do, they kept with the formula. In September 2012, Tyco spun-off its security business into a separately-traded company called ADT (ADT). You might have heard of them. Since that breakup, Tyco stock is up more than 40%. And with growth starting to creep back up in the corporate fire protection and flow control segments, I believe investors are now in line for further gains.
On Friday, the company will report fiscal 2014 first-quarter results. The Street will be looking for 45 cents in earnings per share on revenue of $2.63 billion, which would represent a little more than 1% year-over-year revenue growth. But don't let that feeble number fool you. Companies the size of Tyco, with such a global footprint, aren't expected to impress on the top line. The bottom line is where it matters.
[Read: 7 Signature Drinks for Your Super Bowl Party]
Given management's new stance on steady operating improvements and cost efficiency, investor sentiment will be decided on how the company performs on margin. What's more, they'll pay attention to what management says about its streamlining initiatives. Any progress on, say, things like centralizing operations should add to the company's long-term value.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV